International recycling of lithium-ion batteries
Lithium-ion batteries are high-performance power sources with a key role in electromobility. Interseroh provides a range of safe, bespoke services for the recycling and transportation of end-of-life batteries. In Europe and worldwide – and for damaged batteries, too.
Lithium-ion batteries have a key role to play in electromobility: compared to other kinds of batteries, they offer very high levels of energy density, performance and longevity. The chemical composition of lithium-ion batteries means that old or damaged batteries can constitute a safety risk, however.
Interseroh has a wealth of expertise in the handling of end-of-life (EOL) lithium-ion batteries. Whether the destination is recycling or international shipment, Interseroh develops a bespoke solution for handling EOL lithium-ion batteries that takes into account relevant domestic and international safety standards and regulations.
Our services for lithium-ion batteries:
- Worldwide, bespoke recycling solutions for EOL lithium-ion batteries
- International logistics for lithium-ion battery collection; includes the safe transportation of damaged batteries
- Expert advice for all issues related to the packaging, logistics, storage and recycling of EOL lithium-ion batteries (national and international)
- Clear, informative updates about new recycling technologies
- Support for notification submissions
- Practice-oriented workshop “Transboundary Movement of Lithium-Ion Batteries”
Battery recycling – your benefits at a glance:
We create worldwide recycling strategies for lithium-ion batteries and offer a wide range of solution models.
Safety is our highest priority. The potential hazards involved in transporting defective lithium-ion batteries in particular requires a careful and professional approach to handling.
We offer bespoke recycling solutions for your batteries – whether EOL or damaged, whether in Europe or worldwide.
Thanks to our extensive international networks, we can guarantee you an optimum level of recycling and resource efficiency worldwide. We are able to recover valuable raw materials to your exact requirements.
Our experts for
- Can Interseroh also provide services for defective or damaged batteries?
Yes. We work with our customers to coordinate all of the activities that are required to guarantee safe transportation and legally compliant recycling. One important step here is ensuring batteries are packed correctly and cost-effectively.
- Who is responsible for the disposal of industrial batteries?
Within the EU, European Directive 2006/66/EC regulates the placing on the market, collection and disposal of all types of batteries – including industrial batteries. European Directives must generally be transposed into national law by all EU member states. In Germany, this resulted in the passing of the Battery Act. The Battery Act defines industrial batteries as “batteries that are intended solely for use in industrial, commercial or agricultural applications, for electric vehicles of any type or for the propulsion of hybrid vehicles.” Accordingly, the Battery Act requires manufacturers and distributors of industrial batteries in Germany to offer consumers options for take-back at no cost and to then dispose of these batteries as appropriate. In all other EU member states, comparable sets of obligations exist for the take-back and recycling of industrial batteries.
- What costs are associated with the movement and/or recycling of EOL lithium-ion batteries?
Costs can vary widely. Factors such as battery condition, available transport packaging and the pick-up site all have a role to play here.
- What is a “notification”?
Notification is a procedure required by law for the disposal of waste or transportation performed in the context of transboundary recycling (inside and outside the EU).
- I am a manufacturer or distributor of lithium-ion batteries – what should I be aware of?
We can arrange a personal consultation to discuss your legal obligations regarding the handling of EOL lithium-ion batteries. Please contact us.
- Why is the professional recycling of EOL lithium-ion batteries so important?
Battery recycling helps to conserve precious resources and enhance the security of supply by recovering valuable metals such as lithium, cobalt and silver. Professional handling also plays a key role here, due to the severity of these batteries’ potential hazards (fire risk, short circuit, emission of poisonous gases, etc.).